2019 course is similar to 2018 with exception to a clockwise lolly-pop loop that doesn’t intersect at West Mag.
9,496 ft gain
12,339 ft descent
1) From Ned high school, ride up the Ned High School ” Sugar Magnolia” trail toward West Mag. Take your first leftonto 926A heading West toward the West Mag Trailhead. Proceed to Re-Root, Hobbit 1 & 2 going clockwise. After finishing Hobbit 2, head to the main dirt rd climb (105) toward the School Bus trail (we don’t do that trail). Before getting to the school bus trail, take a right on a single track that leads into the trees. This trail is the “Roots trail” which most people take as an alternative climb. Descend this trail which will be an Enduro section. Half way down you get out of the trees for a second and there is a faint trail to the right. Take this trail which continues the rad-ness. There are some tight trees so be careful. This trail will lead you back to Hobbit 3. At this point take Hobbit 3 North toward the High School. Take the trail which you intially climbed back tot he High School, this will be a great spot for your first stash bag for an aid station.
After your personal aid station, head on the paved road to the town of Eldora.
2) When at the town the paved road veers to the left slightly or can go straight on a dirt road. Take the dirt road straight
Take your first right at a 4-way intersection.
The road will loop back to the right and take your next left on 505.
3) Go North/West on CR505 toward the top. When near the top there is a faint trail “Ned Full Secret” to the right that descends. You will defiantly need your GPS to find the entrance if you haven’t done it before.
Ned Full Secret trail bombs for awhile. The trail will cross a dried creek, maybe wet, continue on it until it T’s with a dirt rd. Take a right at this T and take it to the dirt rd which is Caribou Rd. This road will be your enemy for the next few miles.
4) Climb the rd until you get to the top to aid station 2 which will be at the 4 way intersection. Head north at the intersection which will take you thru some mud flats and the caribou lakes. At the bottom you will cross the creek and head slight north. Continue on the dirt rd down to the next intersection, head east and the sourdough trail is right there.
5) Ride the full Sourdough trail north to Brainard Lake parking lot. When you get to the paved road, turn south and head up hill toward Lefthand Res. Prior to getting to Lefthand Res take Little Raven single track. This trail will take you to Brainard Lake. Ride around the lake counter clockwise until you get to the single track entrance on the North East side of the lake, this trail is called the Brainard Lake Cutoff trail which turns into St.Vrain.
6) Follow St.Vrain East, staying left at the first intersection. Continue straight at the next major intersection continuing on St.Vrain. There is a sign there showing the direction. Continue on this sweet descent to the dirt rd intersection of Beaver Res Rd. There are couple junctions, stay on the St Vrain trail. The trail will eventually T at the bottom with a dirt rd and you can see the paved Peak to Peak highway on the right. This was one long DH segment, ouch!
7) Ride South on Peak to Peak highway for almost a min and take your first left on the 103. Hang a slight right which becomes 100. At a large sign take a left toward Gold Lake Lodge on Gold Lake Rd. This trail is mostly downhill with some flats. There will be some private property signs to the right and left. There is a sharp right hand turn on 372.
Ride 372 there is a sign that says dead end ahead and a slight trail off to the right, ignore the sign and continue ahead which doesn’t actually end. There is a small stream crossing. This trail will curve around the south side of Gold Lake and merge into the main dirt rd which is now 509. Go right on this road, continue past 102J, following the trail which starts to head south. Take a hard left, if you pass it you’ll immediately see a wood fence on the right side of the rd that says to not enter the area.
This trail is Strava “hooter”, it slowly climbs and T’s at it’s end with a dirt rd. When you first get on this trail you can take another hard left, don’t do this cause it will descend to 102J and you’ll have to hike out 🙁
8) At this T, you hang a left (North) and begin heading downhill on the dirt rd. You’ll come to an area on your right with a ton of downed trees and many that are stacked. The trail is thru this area (photo coming, will also work on the trail to make it more visible). navigate thru the downed trees heading East. Eventually it will be come clear that you are on a single track. This trail will begin to descend and become technical. Part way down the trail it starts to become a rough dirt rd. There is a intersection on the right, take it. You can go straight but it will come back to it anyways. This section is very rutted and loose. After a couple hundred yards you’ll you an open clearing on the left with a single track. Take the single track on the left. It mainly descends but has a very small incline grade at a point. Follow this trail until it opens again and there will be another faint trail to the right. Head right and pass a gate/fence. The single track now has a lot of switch backs. When it gets closer to the bottom you’ll be able to see a house and a sharp right hand turn. Take the turn which will drop you to the very bottom and a small little creek.
If you carry a filter this might be a good spot to get some water before the next big climb.
9) Cross the little creek and look for a faint trail to the right which crosses an open meadow. The trail will be on the other side of the meadow in the trees. The trail will climb a steep slope and then come to an intersection. Stay right which heads South West. The trail will soon head slightly more east and come to a dirt rd intersection. Climb this dirt rd to the top. This dirt rd is Slaughter House Gulch, it’s a tough one. It climbs and climbs. When you get to the top you’ll be at a big intersection of trails. Continue South dropping over the other side. The descent is Flying Squirrel. It is loose when it’s dry outside and there are some good size rocks that can defiantly cause trouble if you get out of control.
10) When you get to the bottom you are now at Lefthand Canyon. Go left heading East downhill. Go .3 miles and you’ll see a dirt road off to your right. Take this dirt rd and hike or ride around the gate, easy to ride around the gate on the right side. This dirt rd is Roweena. Climb this dirt rd to the top. Cross the gate at the top, these gates are to prevent cars from driving on the trail. Once at the top, hang a slight left continuing to climb. Eventually you will cross another gate. Stay on the trail because there is private residence on both sides. Continue straight which because a gravel dirt rd which becomes Deer Trail Rd.
11) Follow Deer Trail Rd and it will T with Lee Hill Dr. Go East, downhill on Lee Hill Dr. Take this all the way down into Boulder. You’ll be out of the hills and will see a gravel parking lot on the right, Lee Hill Trailhead. If you passed 6th street you went too far. Go thru the parking lot and ride the gravel path South. You’ll pass a dog park and will see a large park with gazebos. The finish is at the Gazebo.
Congrats! You are going to be trashed and ready for some Mexican food and beer.